Friday, January 24, 2014

When All Else Fails, Follow the Directions...

When I was a young teenager in high school, my computer science teacher Mr. Wright had a sign in his classroom which he prominently displayed within the plain view of his students.  It read:  "When all else fails, follow the directions."  At the time, those instructions were probably wasted on the classrooms full of 15 year olds he taught, most of whom thought they already knew everything.  In retrospect I go back and forth as to whether Mr. Wright was a quixotic optimist or a wise older sage but as it turned out, my classmates and I really didn't know everything.

Fast forward a few years (ok, more than a few years...) to a newbie bitcoin enthusiast waiting for a recently purchased ASIC Erupter Blade to arrive in the mail.   Rated at 10.7 gigahashes per second, I couldn't wait to install and get it working.  When the blade finally arrived, it was all there: the circuit board, the power adapter, the static bag, and... no instructions.  I'd seen ASIC Eruputer Blades priced from as low as $220 to as much as $600 but never had it occurred to me that such an esoteric technology might come without directions.

Sometimes, life is irony.

Thank goodness for search engines and the internet!  Two weeks, many Google searches and several resolved challenges later, the ASIC Erupter Blade was mining happily, hashing away as advertised.

The focus of this blog is therefore to document my mining adventures with the ASIC Erupter Blade alongside any other mining equipment of interest that I come across.  I also hope to assist you the reader in getting up and running faster by directing you past some of the pitfalls I encountered along the way.  There will be equipment reviews and analyses of my costs and rewards since starting mining. In some cases, I'll even be sharing my programming expertise and some of the code I developed to make my mining rig run more autonomously.

Stay tuned...

DP
donation btc: 1HSFkXyLqPv1iHTjcRRw9DgiFb7SftiCxA

No comments:

Post a Comment